This highways improvement scheme is being carried out by KierWSP on behalf of Northamptonshire County Council, and is being funded in partnership between West Northants Development Corporation and the Homes and Communities Agency. £2.3 million is being invested in the vital junction improvements. The work will not only boost capacity and improve safety at the junction, but also enable delivery of a first phase of development (up to 450 new homes) at Ransome Road.
We have been diverting the main utility services since January this year and this is now nearly complete. We are now ready to start the main construction to provide an improved junction layout which will increase traffic capacity, making it easier and safer for everyone to use.
Drivers will have a smoother journey through the new junction, with improvements made to the road alignment and surfacing, upgraded traffic signals, and clearer road signs.
Cyclists will also benefit, with advance stop line facilities providing them with a safer place to wait at the new traffic signals.Pedestrian crossing facilities at the junction will be also be improved, including better facilities for visually impaired, hard of hearing, and mobility-impaired pedestrians.
So what’s next?
The forthcoming works at this junction will require more traffic management than has been experienced to date including 4 way temporary signals and single traffic lane operation, and there will inevitably be some disruption. Measures are being made to minimise and shorten the inconvenience and we ask for you to be patient during these works. Where possible, if your journey permits, we ask that you take an alternative route or allow extra time for your journey.
Our priority is to ensure that if there is any impact or disruption to you it is kept to a minimum. In general, working hours will be 7:30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Saturday.
The works will provide a wider southbound A508 London Road immediately north and south of Ransome Road and new traffic islands and traffic signals.
A bus stop pull in area will also be provided on the southbound A508 south of Ransome Road. New pedestrian crossing points will be provided at the junction between the A508 London Road and Southfield Avenue, and at the Netto store entrance.
In addition, some of the existing footways around the junction will be resurfaced.
Access will be maintained to shops and premises and vehicle access to the Netto store via Ransome Road will continue as normal although minor diversions may be in place.
Pedestrian routes and bus services will be maintained although routes will be revised as work progresses.
Parking and buses
To enable us to work safely and quickly we will have to restrict some parking on both sides of St Leonards Road near the London Road junction during periods of construction. These spaces will not be in use but will be reinstated once we are finished.
Bus stops will also be temporarily relocated and will be clearly signed.
Initial construction phases will not require road closures. Closures will be required for final surfacing operations and are likely to take place at the weekends. All diversions will be clearly signed and advanced warning will be given.
Phases of work
The scheme, weather permitting, will be substantially complete by December 2011.
• July to August (8 weeks): Construction of highway elements adjacent to southbound London Road either side of Ransome Road – Traffic Management as currently in place and existing signals in operation.
• August to September (3 weeks): Footway works adjacent to northbound London Road and on St Leonards Road – Traffic Management as currently in place and existing signals in operation.
• August to October (6 weeks): Works to remove and reconstruct traffic islands in London Road – 4 Way Temporary Signals.
• September to October (3 weeks): Works to remove and reconstruct traffic islands in Ransome Road – 4 Way Temporary Signals.
• October to November (4 weeks): Works to remove and reconstruct traffic islands in St Leonards Road – 4 Way Temporary Signals.
• October to December (8 weeks): Traffic signals installation, and, road surfacing and road marking works – 4 Way Temporary Signals and Road Closures for surfacing works
To read more click here London Rd Ransome newsletter 1