Following the success in securing funding through the Government Community Infrastructure Fund (CIF) to improve Sandy Lane, NCC has awarded a contract to Carillion Civil Engineering to undertake the SLIN project.
Sandy Lane is located on the western side of Northampton and links the A428 Harlestone Road with the A4500 Weedon Road. The road is of strategic importance as it forms the main lorry route between Lodge Farm Industrial Estate and the M1 Motorway and carries approximately 7500 vehicles per day of which around 10% are heavy vehicles. It is a narrow single carriageway road with poor alignments, a staggered junction with Port Road and Whites Lane and no formal pedestrian or cycle facilities.
The SLIN project will form the northern section of the Sandy Lane Relief Road extending from the existing A428 Harlestone Road, between Harlestone Firs and Whites Lane, to Nobottle Road.
The scheme will provide a high quality road with pedestrian and cycle facilities and will move the majority of traffic away from the houses on St Giles Park and Whites Lane.
It will comprise:-
- A new 7.3m wide, 1850m long single carriageway road
- A new 4 span over-bridge @ Port Road.
- Two box culverts to accommodate Dallington Brook watercourse
- New 2 stage roundabout system @ the southern junction with Norbottle Road.
- New roundabout @ the northern end tie-in with A428 Harlestone Road
- A link to St Giles Park housing estate via Weggs Farm Road
- A cycleway and footway running adjacent to the eastern edge of the carriageway between Harlestone and Weggs Farm Road, and then along the existing Sandy Lane up to Norbottle Road.
- A new access road to Heath Farm
The works will commence on site in February 2010 and are planned for completion within a 46 week construction period.
The newsletter can be found at
You can request monthly progress reports by emailing email@example.com